Small grant for student internships:Deadline- Monday 30th June, 2014

Published on 18 June 2014
Hits: 2476

 

Introduction

The Association of African Universities (AAU) has intensified its advocacy for students from African universities to acquire employable skills for the world of work upon graduation from their universities. While finding jobs had never been a problem for African graduates during the early years of post colonialism in most African state, a 2012 report by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) notes that in Africa, the number of labour market entrants, including youth workers and recent graduates, has outpaced the economy’s ability to absorb them, resulting in high youth unemployment. Also because this category lacks work experience, job-searching skills and other skills demanded in the labour market, they have a hard time gaining a foothold in the labour market.

Through financial assistance from the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida), the AAU has secured some funds to offer small grants of up to US$2,000 per person for graduate internships for its member universities.

 

Conditions for the Award of the Grant

Grant applicants should be students pursuing post-graduate degree programmes in their penultimate year of study in the following fields:

  • Physical Sciences 
  • Engineering
  • Energy
  • Water and Sanitation
  • Economics

 

Applicants shall commit to undertake an internship programme for a period between twelve (12) and twenty-four (24 weeks).

Applications should be supported with an authorisation note from the Head of Department of the applicant’s university.

 Applications should also have an official notification letter from the establishment hosting the intern will consent to admitting the applicant for the intended duration.

 A detailed but confidential supervisory report would be required each from the host institution on the progression of the applicant during the period of internship, and from the university of the applicant on academic progress after the period of internship.

In the Grant Award Agreement, sixty percent (60%) of the total grant would be disbursed upon the submission of the required letters of intent from both the university and the employer to cater for transport and other incidentals. The other forty percent (40%) would be disbursed after the successful completion of the internship, receipt of deliverables from the university and the employer.

 A tracer of the intern’s employment status would be conducted six months after graduation from the university.

Any breach of this Agreement, shall lead to the termination or invalidity of the grant, for which the Grantor shall recall or request the amount awarded to be refunded.

 

Deadline for Submission of Application

 Interested applicants should submit their letters of intent in soft copy to the undersigned to reach him not later than Monday 30June, 2014:

 The Directorate of Research and Academic Planning

 Association of African Universities 

P. O. Box AN 5744 

Accra – North 

Ghana. 

E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

 cc: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   

 

Source : aau.org

About us

Africa IT Women, Created June 24th, 2013, is a non-profit organization that assists women with the potential to build a career in the field of new technologies and emerging business.

Follow us by social media

   

Français